Decatur & Atlanta
Come visit us in beautiful Decatur, Georgia, with easy access to nearby Atlanta.
Gupton-Jones College of Funeral Service is a non-profit institution dedicated to education and research for the funeral profession. Gupton-Jones College of Funeral Service offers educational opportunities to those interested in funeral service as a career. The institute provides the theory portion and practical application of funeral service education preparing the student for entry into the profession and for a State and/or National Board examination enabling him/her to begin or continue apprenticeship or internship for licensure.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Explain the importance of funeral service professionals in developing relationships with the families and communities they serve.
- Identify standards of ethical conduct in funeral service practice.
- Interpret how federal, state, and local laws apply to funeral service in order to ensure compliance.
- Apply the principles of public health and safety in the handling and preparation of human remains.
- Demonstrate technical skills in embalming and restorative art that are necessary for the preparation and handling of human remains.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting arrangement conferences, visitations, services, and ceremonies.
- Describe the requirements and procedures for burial, cremation, and other accepted forms of final disposition of human remains.
- Describe methods to address the grief-related needs of the bereaved.
- Explain management skills associated with operating a funeral establishment.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills and research skills needed for funeral service practice
- Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission, State of Georgia;
- Authorized to award an Associate of Science Degree in Funeral Service
- Department of Health and Human Services; Social Security Administration
- State Boards of Funeral Service
- Veterans Administration benefits
- State Approval for Vocational Rehabilitation Training; Department of Justice; Immigration and Naturalization Service